Date: Friday, June 19th, 9:30 am - 5:30 pm
Lunch Break TBD
- May recruit an assistant if the class fills up
There are many ways to get your content from the database to the screen in Drupal. In this course, we'll take you on a deep dive into the Panels system and teach you a pragmatic and consistent approach to site architecture. You'll learn why and how to use panels and the benefits for you, your team, your clients and even the next development team. Bring your laptop if you want to follow along and build your own site!
Some of the topics we'll cover are:
- Why Panels?
- How to audit and prepare your content before you push any buttons.
- Creating layouts.
- Learning the ins and outs of Panels.
- What are Views Content Panes and how do they work with Panels?
- Tricks to maximize component reuse (and reduce development time)
- Setting up the In Place Editor (IPE)
- Looking ahead to Drupal 8
It's not required, but if you bring your laptop you will actually create your own site using panels and views.
Who is this for?
This course is geared toward site builders. You don't need to know any code, but you should have some experience setting up Drupal sites.
You do not need a laptop, but if you want to follow along and build your site (highly recommended), then you will need a laptop running a local Drupal installation. Please have your localhosts up and running before you arrive so we can dive right in. Here are some tools to setup a local webserver on your laptop:
- Acquia Dev Desktop: http://www.acquia.com/downloads
- MAMP (Mac): http://www.mamp.info/en/downloads/
- XAMPP (Mac or Windows): https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html
We'll be using the following modules and utilities, so if you can have these installed and ready to go, you get a gold star:
- Contextual (in Drupal Core)
- Admin Menu
- Devel Generate
Training provided by Lullabot.